Friday, January 15, 2010

The anti-belt brigade

Do not be apart of the anti-belt brigade, there is a lot of misunderstanding and bad info about belt usage and strength development. Many people believe leads to artificial strength and puts the abs to "sleep". Let me pose this question, is it cheating or does it lead to artificial strength if someone uses a loaded barbell to lift to get stronger? Of course it isn't and the concept of a properly worn weightlifting belt is the same as a barbell. We use the loaded barbell to increase the tension on our bodies so our muscles can exert force and eventually adapt and become stronger. The belt does the same for our abs. When the belt is worn just snugged on our core it allows our abs to push hard against it. By doing this the abs are creating more tension than if the belt were not there and more tension means greater strength. Are my belted lifts higher than my un-belted lifts? Yes they are however by wearing the belt and strengthening my abs my un-belted lifts get stronger.

Training:
Squats 5x3
Press 5x3
Chin-ups 3 x max reps


Watch my belly fill with air and get hard as I push against the belt.

No comments: